lime drop cookies with strawberry buttercream filling.
the easter break is here and this marks the first out of many baking adventures to come in the week to fill eager tummies.
these here are lime drop-shaped cookies sandwiched together with strawberry buttercream in between.
theres so much buttercream leftover that im thinking of making a strawberry shortcake next!
Lime drop cookies with strawberry buttercream filling
110g butter, room temp
1/3 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
Zest of 1 large lime
1 1/2 cups plain flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp green food colouring
3 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup strawberry puree
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees
2. Cream the butter, sugar, zest, colouring and vanilla together until pale. Add the yolks and mix until combined.
3. Add flour and salt and mix.
4. Roll mixture into a ball and shape into drop shapes.
5. Place on baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 12 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make buttercream by placing eggwhites and sugar in a bowl over a double boiler.
7. Use a hand mixer to whisk until the mixture turns white and becomes hot to the touch.
8. Remove from heat and whisk further until cooled.
9. Add butter in 8 additions and mix until incorporated.
10. Add strawberry puree and mix further. It might look like its splitting in the beginning but just whisk further until it comes together.
11. Fill cooled cookies by piping butter cream into one side and sandwiching them together.
12. Store in a cool place or in the fridge.