31.10.10

Little Orange Grand Marnier Cakes.

I love this cake.
And I think my mom agrees with me, because it is super easy to make.
When I'm back in Singapore I make these little cakes quite often as my mom would always want me to make some for her to bring to office meetings.
Its extremely moist as it uses up an entire orange, plus..... its soaked in grand marnier. =)
Anything with alcohol is always a winner.

I like how this cake makes me feels all dainty, wanting to sit down for a proper cup of tea and watch the day go by outside.
Oh, did I mention I have a cathedral view, which means that today being Sunday I get to see people in their frilly smart outfits trudging in and out of church.

Little Orange Grand Marnier Cakes.

Makes 12 cakes.


1 Large orange peeled and roughly chopped (reserve the zest for the garnish)
1/2 cup water
115g butter
100g caster sugar
65g soft brown sugar
2 eggs
60g fine semolina
60g ground almonds
60g sifted self raising flour
1/4 cup Grand Marnier liquor

1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.

2. Put chopped oranges and water in a bowl and microwave on high for 60 seconds, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture into a blender and puree.

3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.

4. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

5. Fold in other dry ingredients and orange pulp gently until well combined.

6. Spoon into cupcake cases/muffin trays. ( Using a ladle makes it much easier)

7. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until golden on top.

8. Remove for oven and spoon a teaspoon or so of grand marnier over each cake. Let it cool completely before inverting to unmould.

9. Garnish with orange zest.

Great served with a splash of cream or ice cream on the side as a dessert, or simply with a cup of tea.

No comments: