31.10.10

Tomato artichoke tofu quiche.

The other day, Mr Poasm bought a ton of firm dry tofu wanting to cook a Chinese tofu dish and over estimated. Lucky for me, I was sick of studying for my exams today and let my mind deviate for just a teeny bit. I was thinking.... how can i use up the tofu and other "rotting"ingredients in my fridge. By rotting I don't mean mouldy or anything, just that they have been there sitting there for ages and I have this constant fear that mould WILL grow.

Then it came to me.... tofu quiche! I remember someone, somewhere making a dessert version with chocolate and silken tofu before. So it must be possible to use this firm tofu to make a savory one, eliminating the cream altogether. yippeee. less calories.


This is basically something I made up completely. I was so nervous it wouldn't set, or it might be too hard. But it turned up really good!!

Here is the recipe, but I cant guarantee the proportions are right as I did it by feel.

Tomato Artichoke Tofu Quiche.


Tart shell:
70g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour
130g (3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) plain flour
Pinch of salt
120g cold butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg

1. Place the self-raising and plain flours, saltand butter in a food processor.
2. Process on medium speed for about 20 seconds, until mixture resembles fine fresh breadcrumbs
3. Add egg and process on medium speed for about 15-30 seconds, until egg is incorporated and mixture clumps together.
4. Form dough into a flattened round and place in a freezer bag or wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
5. Roll out pastry between two sheets of baking paper or cling wrap to fit your tart tin. ( I was able to line one rectangular tart tin and 4 small round ones)
6. Trim pastry overhanging the sides and use fork to poke holes on the bottom of tin.
7. Place a sheet of baking paper on top of the pastry and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice.
8. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius fan-forced) for 10 minutes. Remove weights/rice and baking paper and bake for 10-15 minutes more, until the pastry is a light golden colour.

While waiting for the shell to bake, make the filling!

Tofu filling:
400g firm dried tofu.
1 tsp chilli powder.
handful of fresh basil (reserve some for garnish)
1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup artichokes (I used those from a jar)
salt and pepper to season
1 egg
2-3 tbs milk
1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
olive oil

1. Place the tofu, basil, walnuts, egg and chilli powder in a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. If the mixture is to dry, add in the milk according. (The texture should be of a spread)
3. Season to taste.
4. Spread the mixture evenly over the tart shells and place artichokes and tomatoes on top.
5. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
6. Drizzle olive oil oven the top and bake in a 190 degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes, when the top turns brown.
7. Cool completely before removing from tins garnish with basil leaves and serve!


No comments: